Monday, February 4, 2008

NOBLESSE OBLIGE: IT'S A LIFESTYLE

First, I want to express my gratitude to those of you who take the time to read my poetry. I am inspired by everyone of your comments. I have no expectations of you, I am just sharing the journey with anyone who loves life as much as I do. I ran across a word the other day that I just can't get out of my head "noblesse oblige": the obligation of honorable, generous, and responsible behavior associated with high rank or birth.

Maybe its just my opinion. But I think we have a responsibility to give one another our best everyday! Even if it is not just of common nature to give of yourself or by personal ambition so much as noblesse oblige.

I've been a Troop commander for about two months now. I am constantly amazed at how much my personal attitude is influential in the lives of those around. Positive energy is contagious. When I was coming up I remember that saying that "attitude is everything" sounding like the biggest cliche' to me. Cliche and all; it's true. Everyday I am encouraging young Soldiers, single parent soldiers who have left their children behind, people who just got married before they deployed, and several other instances. These are individuals who sacrifice a lot to be here (Iraq) to serve as they have made the commitment for whatever reason. I owe them my best daily. Each day I am working at becoming better, sharper, faster, and stronger. Noblesse Oblige is a lifestyle that I have committed myself to. Noblesse Oblige ought to be a brand...share with someone the meaning of it....let's see how far we can take it.

3 comments:

Tara said...

You are defintely one of the most positive people I have come across in some time. I am glad that you are able to share that energy with others!

June said...

Hi Adrian... I don't know, but for some reason I thought of the phrase "l'enfant terrible" when I first read "noblesse oblige." I guess it's probably because I deal with cranky children every day. But on a serious note, I came upon this phrase "bulletproof positive attitude" not too long ago. And I've got to say that it applies to you too.

Sharon said...

Hey AD, Love the blog and love to read your thoughts. Hope that all is well with you. Sounds as if you are keeping busy and using all of your skills in a very important way. The folks under your care could not have anyone more wonderful than you to lead them, that's for sure! You model noblesse oblige for them in every way.

Sharon