Friday, February 22, 2008

Chuck Taylor's and Young Memories

Memories of size 14 boys
mesh high-top Converse Chuck Taylors;
Kicking a big red 14 inch plastic kick ball
straight out of the park!
Thoughts spark!
Like umbrella fireworks on the fourth of July.
Up, up, up into the sky!
As sure as the ball is round
so is the earth.
I’m diving head first from Venus
Head tucked –
Fingers pointed –
Legs together –
into the Adriatic Sea and kiss the
first thing staring at me
starfish –
Algae weaves through my tickled toes.
The mystery is in the childlike part of me.
Like the oceans abyss.
Kids are rich.
Big Kool-Aid smile and wet curly hair,
coco brown skin-
still innocent.
Sticky grape on my t-shirt from the Jelly sandwich.
Sliding into first base –
Always feeling first place.
Grass stains –
What’s pain –?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are able to find some escape in your poetry. I enjoyed reading this visually stimulating poem. Wonderful writing.