Friday, February 22, 2008

American Dreaming I, II, and III

I

I miss the bright lights and big city.
American alchemy is calling my name.
Neon lights
like
New York

Land of the brave and free-
I am mentally reaching out like the statue of liberty –
Flame of passionate fire in my torch;
lifted searching and seeking out the gifted part of me.
What does the American Dream mean to me?



II


My mothers blistered
burdened feet
from 29 years of bartending
in the Metro Detroit- Airport.
American dream twinkle in her eye.
Single parent provider,
She’d work all day, everyday
to try to give my brother and I
the best that her wages would allow.
I’m so proud of her hard working American spirit.



III


Obama –
Silent social barriers broken –
burst through leaving remnants of concrete
past –
now made rubble.
No more token?
Negro that is –
American Dreaming with the wind to my back.
Momentum –
Chin up, focus, opportunistic twinkle in my eyes.
Focused –
Momma told me, “Because of your skin you have to be EXTRAordinary”.
No room for just being ordinary, I’ve got to win.
American Dreaming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adrian,
you've certainly taken heed of your mother's wisdom. You are extraordinary, and i thank you for your work.

Tara said...

You and this piece are EXTRAordinary...I really dig it.