Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Post of Many

Usually I am upbeat and ready to embrace it all to become it all. Today is one of those days where deployment just begins to wear on you a bit. After a while you just learn how to cope with whatever life has in store, put the complaints behind and try to figure out how can I make the best out of each and every day. This is my first post of many. I'll try to spend the first few days of post trying to catch you up to where I have journeyed mentally, spiritually and emotionally. I have been deployed since the end of July 2007 and set to be here until just before the end of this year (2008). That would make for a 15 month tour.

I did my first tour during OIF III Nov 05-06 in support of the 18th Airborne Corps, 50th Signal Battalion Airborne, where I was station 62 miles North of Baghdad in Balad for 12 months. When I finally make it home this time it'll be 27 months in a very short Army career that I have spent participating in what we know as "the war on terrorism". I am currently stationed in Baghdad. I will be very general with times, locations, names, this is due impart to what we Army folks call OPSEC (Operational Security). Its important for us not to give out information that may jeopardized our mission or the safety of any Soldier's.


I will also use this as an opportunity to share more of my poetry with you. As some of you know while I was in transition throughout Baghdad and taking command I had my first book published, "A Soldiers Poetic Response: A Slice of his Life". Poetry for me is the essence of life an aesthetic quality in which we use to articulate our beautiful struggle, life.

I had a lot more to write but I'm tired it's 12:20am Baghdad time and I've got a 0530 morning coming, but before I go I'll leave you with this:


War Continuum

This continuum is continually

consistent in nature.

I am watching this clock

like sand sliding down the sides of an hour glass.

My head brings depth to this pillow;

there is no silence.

Rather sleeping or awake.

As the booms and bangs of IED’s and rockets sound off.

Generators roaring,

Blackhawks,

Chinooks, and helicopters

flying over head.

Soldiers are in transit;

in and out.

Our proud chest are poked out –

through our ACU’s;

There is a special confidence in being a Soldier.

Miniature American flags fly from radio antenna’s on Stryker’s.

Night Vision Goggle’s give that illumination green light around the eye’s

Heightening a Soldier’s awareness –

as we own the night.

Dreams of our reception home.

Tired as the days go on.

Proud as the day is long.

This continuum is continually consistent in nature

as long as we are at war.

12 comments:

jc said...

Adrian,
Your postings remind me of the stream of consciousness musings of the main character in Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun" a World War I war novel. You are in my thoughts constantly and you remind me of how lucky we are to have the military represented by sensitivity in the midst of brutality. Stay strong with peace and loving kindness.
JC

Unknown said...

amazing!!

Natie-Pooh said...

Hey U,
I just tuned in to your blog, how nice and thanks for sharing. I swear your writing gets more and more inspirational and up lifting every time I read it. I hope all is well. Miss u and hope to see you very soon!!!

Love Always,
Natie-Pooh

Eljay said...

Great to see you writing again, my friend. As always, stay strong - and when 2008 ends, we will take you out for drinks and cigars and then glue your feet to the floor so they can't send you back to the inferno anymore!

Meanwhile, looking forward to every word you publish here.

Tara said...

Welcome to the world of blogger! Poem is awesome, but you already knew that ;)

amy said...

A beautiful piece of poetry, Adrian. I particularly loved "Tired as the days go on. Proud as the day is long." Such disparate emotions in those two phrases.

Stay safe out there.

Anonymous said...

What's up ADRIAN!!! It's your Auntie Carina. I am so proud of you and I am loving the most recent post. I am tiring of this election crap and it will flood the airwaves all year taking away the TRUE news stories (whatever those are...i don't know anymore). Love Ya and I'll holla!! Smooches

Anonymous said...

A Massssssssey!!! What the deal brother? I see that your making the best of your time writing, but when are you going to tell all these people the truth about how I would spend long hours in Best Hall teaching you how to write. I'm so happy to see that my protégé is doing so well in the poetic world of life. Oh, well maybe one day you'll be able to come clean with the truth. In the time being do your thang mane' and the fam' sends mad love!!!
"The Sausage KING of CHICAGO

Anonymous said...

Dear Captain Massey:

From one writer to another; how proud I was to open this page at the Westland Library and find you and your poetry. May you and your family be encouraged and be blessed! Always remember that someone is praying for you here in Westland.................Pastor Karen

Anonymous said...

Hey you,

This is great! You are an amazing, beautiful person that I adore. Thank you for taking the time to make your brilliant writing and brave heart available for so many people to embrace.

Renee

Anonymous said...

Just received 5 copies of your book at the Westland Library. Look on our Home Page for the link to this title.

How exciting for our community to be given this priveledge to communicate with you.
Looking forward to all you bring to the table.

Anonymous said...

Adrian

Congratulations for your courage and perseverance. Nurture the root from G.C.